Micheal Geist’s post It’s Time to Be Honest: Netflix Will Not Mean the End of Canadian Television is brilliant in the way it lays waste to some of the most popular complaints about Netflix and their lack of contribution to Canadian television (i.e.: sponsoring Canadian content).
The numbers get a bit complicated at one point but the result is clear, forcing Netflix to follow the traditional model of contributing to the development of Canadian content through the Canadian Media Partnership (CMP) is pointless. Their contribution wouldn’t even amount to a drop in a very huge bucket.
But letting them purchase streaming rights, in competition with other streaming services (including Rogers & Shaw’s Showmi) would result in significant contributions towards the creation of Canadian content!
Yeah, this is pretty much how it’s going to look…
ViewsBusiness by CartoonArts International September 19, 2014
Clement on GoComics.com
I’ve recently read about a few people trying to replace many of the apps on their phone with a web app or web site. So it got me thinking about what I could do on my phone and tablet.
There’s a few advantages to using browser-based web apps instead of native apps.
Web Apps vs Native Apps
1. Most important is improved security and privacy
2. It reduces the pollution in your system
3. And they take less space
a.k.a. Why are the social networks so anti-social towards each other?
a.k.a. Yet another diatribe on the dichotomy of Google.
We’ve all been in this situation: we’ve got a bunch of friends on Facebook; another bunch on Twitter, and a couple on Google+ (but if you’ve still got friends using MySpace, Orkut, or AOL I’m afraid I can’t help you). Now how do you share your words of wisdom, pithy commentary on life, and hilarious snap-shots with all your friends? You don’t want to neglect anyone but it’s a lot of effort post and re-post.
TL, DR; Use WordPress! Either WordPress.com or install your own from WordPress.org. You can link to all your social networks and the world (wide web) is your stage. Tumblr is a close second, and so is Flickr quite frankly (just use Ctrl+Enter to split your paragraphs)! Continue reading
One of the main reasons I’m looking into this is because I’ve made several unsuccessful attempts to build a couple simple web apps using Google Apps Script on Google Drive. Based on the documentation and the marketing it should have been simple enough. But I always ran into the same roadblock: Caja! Google uses Caja to sanitize (or cajole) your scripts and prevent any malicious activity on Google’s network. But running within a Caja sandbox is a whole new world where libraries don’t behave the way they should, standard features are blocked, and you need to use tricks for things that should just work. Continue reading
My favourite articles of the week:
- Raspberry Pi (momentarily) more popular than Lady Gaga…
- Amid ETF hoopla, don’t overlook index funds
- Buried deep in this article is the the little tidbit that a few online brokers, Scotia iTrade, Qtrade and Virtual Brokers, offer commission-free ETF’s (not all, but some)
- Can Dell Slay the Leviathan With a Windows Tablet?
- TD Canada Trust Android app updated, brings ability to initiate stock trades
- Closing Time on C-11: Help Stop the Final Push for SOPA-Style Reforms & Efforts to Gut Fair Dealing
- Setting the Record Straight on the Copyright Lobby’s Latest Smear Campaign
- DOJ threatens Apple with antitrust suit over eBook price-fixing
- Mobile Development with C#
- What Is Dart?
- Air Canada’s GoGo In Flight WiFi Tested; A Turbulence Free Experience
- The “new iPad” now available for pre-order, “Starting at $519″ in Canada
- Top Five Stupid Ways To Recharge Your iPad
- Low Latency No. 13: It’s good to be the king
- The Google+ Upgrade
- KDE 4.8.1 – the best DE you can get
- Play on, Google, but you really need to fix the app search problems
- The Other Shoe Drops: Music Reps Want SOPA-Style Website Blocking Added To Copyright Bill
- Angry Birds Space: NASA announcement
- I think it’s pretty much the pinnacle of success when you can enlist NASA to promote the next iteration of your product!
- 74-year old Winnipeg man slapped with a $199 ticket for using a cellphone while driving, claims he doesn’t own a cellphone
- All Your Internets Belong to US, Continued: The Bodog.com Case
- Introducing Google Play: All your entertainment, anywhere you go
- Top LulzSec hackers arrested, group leader reportedly working for FBI
- The Gentlemen’s Rant: iPad
- ‘Lowball’ Olympic bids from CBC-BCE open door for Yahoo
- Robocalls in real time: “Ignored by most media”
- Samsung Galaxy S II i9100 and Asus Transformer tablets get CyanogenMOD 9 nightly builds
- Windows 8 can wipe a PC clean in just six minutes
- Mobilicity calls for U.S.-style ‘spectrum screen’ for coming auction
- Make no mistake: Canada is a digital backwater
- The Southeast LinuxFest
- On Privacy, US Legislation and Cloud Vendors
- Smoked by Windows Phone ad campaign on YouTube
- This just proves how poorly people understand the phones they own. When I prepped my Android phone (not known for it’s speed or power) I was able to keep pace no problem with an obviously prepped Windows Phone.
- And breathe… (licensing announcement for Raspberry Pi computers)
- Get Me A Cell Phone Stat
- Google baking Android OS “Key Lime Pie”?
Cross-posted on 2FatDads